Tuesday, October 25, 2005

All About the Halloween Costumes: Part II

Which brings us to Halloween, this year. I really intended to rise above my Halloween over-achiever tendencies and just buy the darn things.

Sweet Miss Four Year Old (who just recently discovered Princesses) decided that she would be Cinderella. Easy. There must be a billion Cinderella costumes in America. I casually checked out the costumes at Target the other weekend. Hmmm. $24.99. For a piece of crap. Husband could see the wheels turning. Uh oh.

But here's my reasoning. I could make something for $24.99, that would be substantial, something that the girls could play dress up in for years to come, something that wouldn't melt at the first drop of rain like the total cheese costume you can get for $24.99.

So I venture out to Joann's last week, Cinderella in tow (and baby sister.)

We make a beeline for the "Costume Fabric" clearly labeled, right inside the door. 50% off. We pick out a white organza number bejewled like sprinkles. Excellent. I can't find a decent light blue sateen, so we head back to bridal. We're going through the fabrics, I'm pumped up. I'm eyeing the prices as best I can, but I am confident, since I am armed with 40% off coupon.

Then, faced with bejeweled fabrics in the cart, Baby won't stay belted. Must. Stand. Up. Cinderella, faced with design decisions, transforms into Isaac Mizrahi. Won't listen to mom. Must have dark green zipper with light blue fabric.

My magical little trip with daughters has gone wrong. Carrying baby around like a football since she won't stay in the cart, pushing the cart with the other hand, we make the necessary selection of ribbon trim. Get a number at the cutting counter. Realize that I didn't get a pattern. Fabric amounts to cut? I can't risk getting out of line now. I can wing it. Anyway, I have a coupon, right?!

So I'm wrestling the baby, Cinderella is still whining about the green zipper, and I find out the organza with sprinkes was on the wrong table, and is expensive, and is NOT half off. And by now, Isaac Mizrahi has her heart set on the sprinkles, so there's no going back. But I have a coupon. Right. So we get through the cutting counter experience, go get a pattern, and head up front to pay.



In summary, I've now spent fifty bucks on this freakin Halloween costume, and there is major assembly required. What was I thinking.
Posted by Picasa

7 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Boschert said...

I. Have. So. Been. There. (Can't wait to see the results! Hope they won't have to be covered up by a winter coat.)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

This sounds like my last trip to the fabric store. And I was thinking about going today to pick up a few things, until I read your post and remembered how awful it is to go with the kids. Selective amnesia is amazing, no?
But I bet the costume will be great!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

It will be GORGEOUS!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Val said...

But 'Cinderella' will remember you for doing this when she has Cinderella's of her own. You are making a little bit of special history for her!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Oh, I am so glad to have 2 sons!!But you are a wonderful mother, Emily!! So sacrificing, so devoted...I know the drill: My oldest wanted to be a Beanie Baby squirrel one year ( 1997?), so I bought while velour, hand dyed it a lovely brown color, created the hang tag by scanning a real BB tag, and fabricated a squirrel tail out of fake fur which I attached to the hooded sweatshirt with ears ,and pants outfit. A huge success. So successful, in fact, he wore it for the next 4 years.Until in 7th grade he was teased mercilessly by the other kids... Meanwhile, the younger son, not to be outdone, wanted to be a real squirrel, so he got a grey velour costume from same pattern, and he just tried it on (and this is now year 6 for his costume) and it fits!!Ah, the miracle of making the costume too big to start with, and stretchy velour! Yay me! I do miss the little girl thing, but now I can dye fabric and make some quilts instead of little dresses...I look forward to the photo!

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I soo know that ! I buy the fabric for my mom to make my boys PJ's and boxers and I never get out of the shop for less than $100. That makes Hanna's seem cheap!

7:38 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Can't wait to see the finished costume!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home