Friday, June 08, 2007

Yes I Ripped It!

But only after giving it a good, long time-out, and considering every other option (including cutting it at the line, ripping the one ball, reknitting, and kitchenering.) There were two reasons I decided on the old fashioned approach (ripping) versus the maverick approach, (reknitting only the section and kitchenering) which, you know, seriously appealed to me.

Because of the cable pattern, kitchenering would be very complicated (maybe impossible?) and the fact is, that I would have to knit the whole ball before I would find out if the kitchener was do-able or not.

Also, I had a shortage of yarn and needed to use that darker ball for the back. So, if I reknit the back, I could use the good ones in the middle, and blend the darker one in at the top (where it would be less noticeable) by knitting from alternate balls several rows before the ball change.

So, that’s what I did. And it was worth it. Finished photo soon, I promise.

An anonymous comment from yesterday made me laugh:

“Since we haven't heard from you since this posting I'm quite sure you must be ripping.(or are you dyeing more yarn for us?)"

It was the part about the yarn dyeing that made me laugh. It is true! Do I always get quiet right before a shop update? I probably do. I try not to, but it IS a lot of work!

So, can I make up for my lack of sweater photo with some yarn photos? Everything you see here will be available next Monday. (But can I ask you pretty please, do not e-mail me and ask me to save a skein for you--I can't do it for some and not others--thank you!)

I've got summery colors (Seashells, Hunky Lifeguard, I'd Like Mine with Extra Hot Sauce)

Flowery colors and pastels (Mermaid, Iris, Bouquet, Daffodils and Tulips)

Darks (Good Earth, Drama, He Saw Her Across the Smoky Bar, Antique)

And some of you organized folks are ready for your Christmas yarn. Here's the scoop. I said in my newsletter last month that I was going to do "Christmas Lights" by special order only. What was I thinking? On paper, it always seems like special orders might be easier--but in reality, when I am doing a special order, I am trying very hard to match the previous photo, which makes extra pressure. Also, with special orders, there is extra e-mailing back and forth getting things arranged. So, I've changed my mind and I'm going to list a large batch during my shop update on Monday instead of taking special orders. If there is more demand for it, I'll just do more in July. Thanks for understanding!

Oh, and FYI I will list the Christmas Lights first. 10am Central time. Merry Christmas!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colors! Hopefully I'll get a skein or two before they all disappear...

2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you could do christmas lights year round and call it Fiesta! i love the red with all those bits of bright color.

7:41 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

Wow! Every single colorway is just gorgeous!!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what I like better - the yarn itself or your creative names.
I was so glad to finally get some Handsome Park Ranger last time!
I've got quite a collection of your yarn.
I've really got to learn how to knit socks!
And I was the one with the comment about the yarn. KS

11:05 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Your sock yarn would all look lovely as chevron scarves too! I've been using one of yours to make a scarf and will try to post a photo soon. I always cringe when knitters do major ripping, then I think about all the ripping I've done for sewing projects. Sometimes it's just the right thing to do.

7:06 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

If I didn't just buy 3 skeins of your yarn, I'd be ALL over that Christmas Lights. Must.Behave.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Jenny143 said...

So many beautiful colors.
Hopefully I will get a couple!
Thanks for all your hard work to keep us in yummy yarn!!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh no, I see a few colors that I want. I hope I don't miss out. I'll be haunting your Etsy store when I'm suppose to be working probably. Christmas Lights [does look like a Feista] would make a lovely scarf.

4:28 AM  
Blogger kimchi said...

SO YUMMY!
thanks for the lovely pictures...

1:24 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Em,
I love your color names - expecially "Hunky Lifeguard" and "I'd like mine with extra hot sauce!" Makes me start singing Red Hot Chili Peppers, then I feel like I'm driving home from Montreal (Or was it Totonto? We said Toronto so often I'm still confused!) Oh, I just saw someone talking about "Handsome Park Ranger" - I missed that one!
xoxo, Tracey

6:57 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

I just found your blog, you make some beautiful stuff. I also love your yarn names, so apt!!!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Those are very lovely colours.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home