Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Knitting Knews

Hello! We are blurry. Sorry about that. I forget which friend took this photo at the Bloomingdale Museum reception, but it's possible that she had some wine.

A big shout out to my peeps I saw this weekend. The Midwest Fiber and Folk Festival was fun, I bought luscious wool/bamboo yarn to test dye (have had a lot of requests for worsted weight) so we'll see about that. Compared to last year, I really found the new location difficult to navigate. (I was only there for 2 hours and I had a kid and a stroller, so I know I wasn't the usual demographic of attendee.) I would love to hear comments from those of you who went--what did you think? What did you buy? What did I miss?

And the Bloomingdale reception was wonderful, as always. They really put some lovely refreshments and there was even a cute musician! If you are in the area you must see this show. (I'm not saying so just because I'm biased. I mean, how often do you get a chance to see Quilt National? Seriously!)
So, the summer is half over and I have been remiss with my knitting updates. This has been a summer full of knitting, so there is a lot to report. Settle in with a cuppa.....

When we last left our knitting heroine this spring, she finished a couple of sweaters that she really loved. Especially the periwinkle one, which was hard to top. You know that awful letdown after the Perfect Project? The search for another great project? One with great yarn, great stitch, not to much of this, not too much of that......

Much swatching ensued.

Little swatches

Big swatches

Lots and Lots of Swatches.




**Pacing and gnashing of teeth**



Sleeves disguised as swatches.

Fronts disguised as swatches.



Not to mention the socks, which came and went, flying off the needles while our knitter searched for her perfect sweater.



Finally, something stuck. (Rowan #41, Selda.) Knitting ensued. In spite of gauge issues and the fiddly situation of fitting side shaping into a lace pattern, our knitter was reasonably happy.

Then, a new pattern came along. The kind of pattern you Must. Cast. On. Right. Away.


Knitting ensued. Furious, glorious knitting. Knitting in the Zone Knitting. Our knitter got her groove back.

Coming soon: Finished Objects.

(For information on any of the above patterns, ask me in the comments and I will answer in the comments, or see my project section over on Ravelry.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I clicked on the link and saw your glorious periwinkle sweater, I thought that surely you would like the February Lady Sweater as well. People are knitting so many wonderful ones. It's in my queue! Soon ...

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They all look great!!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

I thought I might run into you in Crystal Lake but, alas, no. I got some really great stuff--mostly spinning fiber. Any thoughts of dyeing roving in the future?

10:55 PM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

the quilts all are gorgeous!

8:18 PM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Wow! One beauty after another! This is quite an impressive effort.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Becky Holmes said...

I learned how to needle felt at the Midwest Folk and Fiber Festival and bought some roving and some felting needles to try this out at home. I also bought about 5 skeins of sock yarn (including 2 fabulous semi-solids from Knitting Notions), and 1000 yards of laceweight from Briar Rose Fibers. I totally overspent my budget. I did fine with the layout, but didn't have kids or a stroller with me. I didn't go last year, so I can't compare, but I thought this place was convenient and well organized. I will go again next year for sure. Sorry I missed your quilts in the quilt show! I didn't see this blog post until after the fair.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you got your knitting mojo back. Hopefully when school starts Fri knitting will be a regular stop for you :)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I'm about to start my own Feb Lady in Classic Silk..it made the gauge even though it's not worsted.
I'm so glad I stopped by and read your encouragement to knit one. I've been dragging my feet.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Bummer--I only saw one of your quilts in Crystal Lake...but the one I saw stopped me in my tracks!

I picked up luscious fibers for felting (what else?). My favorite by far were some kettle-dyed merino/silk rovings that looked even better when felted. I made a few scarves right away and the color gradations were just, well, I don't really have words for it!

Congrats on getting you knitting mojo back!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

wow, from the # of swatch u did, it makes me realise i should work a swatch b4 any project.

u r a busy knitter and a fast one too.

cant wait to see all the FOs.

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home