Monday, January 30, 2006

Charlotte, Birthday Socks, and a Recipe

I am completely obsessed with this:

I am at the 3rd/4th color blend section. On row 100 of 154 rows! (But using Jessica's Shawl Progress Calculator, I calculate that I am still less than 40% complete. It seems to defy logic, dang geometry.)

I love the way the colors are blending, hopefully it will be as subtle as I intended. It is hard to see while it is in the unblocked, crumpled state, and all I can think of as I knit this is, "I can't wait to block this, I can't wait to block this". I have calculated that if I do 10% per day (approximately 10 rows), I will be blocking by next weekend. I am scoping out the largest and best blocking spot in the house.

Obsessed.

In a brief interlude this weekend, I finished up Woolease sock #2 for my birthday boy.

Black with red toes.

You might remember I gave him the first sock for Christmas. (I learned a few days before Christmas that the man doesn't like to receive an unfinished gift. It hurts his feelings. I know, I must do a better job of teaching him the Crafter's Way.) Instead of giving him an unfinished pair of socks, I gave him one finished sock.

So, very conveniently, his birthday comes up one month later, and he gets the second finished sock. Whew.

He likes it!

It has a little detail, just above the red toe, done in duplicate stitch. Well hidden inside the shoe, so nobody will know it's there except him, and he can maintain his gruff manly exterior. Only I know he's really a big marshmallow. (Hi Honey!)


The reason for the recipe: without going into great detail, my friend Melody and I conspired to give Dave a suprise birthday dinner party. She is the most fantastic hostess, and she has the story on her blog.

When I asked Dave what kind of cake he would like for his birthday, he asked for a Baskin Robbins ice cream cake. With all due respect to the folks at Baskin Robbins: blech. I decided a nice substitute would be home-made tiramisu. It was a pretty big hit, and Melody wanted me to post the recipe. It is actually the same recipe that I found here, except their version uses 1/3 cup Kaluha, and mine used 2/3 bottle, (hic).

6 egg yolks
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 1/4 c. mascarpone cheese (that will be a little more than one container)
1 3/4 c. hvy whipping cream
2 pkgs ladyfingers
1/2 to 2/3 bottle of Kaluha
unsweetened cocoa for garnish
semi-sweet chocolate curls for garnish

Whisk egg yolks and sugar in double boiler for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and beat in mascarpone cheese. Whip cream and fold in.

Soak ladyfingers in Kaluha. Make sure they are really absorbing the liquid, but then again, don't let them fall apart. Layer 1/2 of them in a springform pan. Spread on 1/2 the filling. Do another layer of the ladyfingers and the filling. Dust with cocoa and garnish with chocolate curls. Don't eat and drive.

I leave you with a parting shot of Charlotte:

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane Doran said...

Emily, are you a Continental knitter? Everytime I read your blog I try to comprehend how you knit so darn fast. Inquiring minds want to know!

3:59 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

Would you just STOP knitting all these gorgeous things? Every time I read your blog I think, "Oh! I need to make that!" and "Oh! I need some of that yarn!". Can't you see what you are doing to me? ;)
The shawl is gorgeous, I can't wait to see it blocked.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

The Koigu is so yummy, knit on Em!
thanks for the tiramisu recipe, or should I say evidence!
That is the best picture of Dave ever!

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the way you cook! My sophomore year of college my roommates and I were invited next door (all guys) for a Christmas party. We decided to take Christmas cookies. One recipe was for rum balls and called for a small amount of rum. One of my roommates dutifully measured out the listed amount. I took the pint of rum away from her and told her "I don't want rum balls (in a high squeeky voice) I want RUM balls (in a deep voice) and proceeded to dump the entire bottle in. Needless to say, they were the first cookies to be gone...

Love the shawl!!

teri

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home