Monday, February 06, 2006

Off the Needles

Here it is, Charlotte with the last row complete. Ready to bind off. Really, really scrunched.
Your comments gave me a chuckle, because I have at least 4 size 5 circulars, and I realized that I didn't explain myself very well. I was knitting on the straights because I loved how it was going with the Bryspuns. The pointy tips made it really easy to dig into those K2Ts. Love them. Didn't want to have to change to addis. And I didn't have to.

Here it is, halfway bound off. It was so bittersweet, I couldn't wait to see it flat, but also I was so sad that the knitting part was over. I really loved knitting this shawl. I was chanting to myself, "parting is such sweet sorrow" over and over as I bound off, until I realized what a dork I am.


Here it is, flat, with the 14" Bryspun needle for scale, to be compared later to the blocked shawl.


I have started a few other things to keep me busy until the Olympics. Photos later this week, maybe tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I got a new toy:

I haven't been in a situation where I needed to weigh yarn. But, I have an idea (!), and I must have a scale. My friend Jodee had one of these at dye day a couple of weeks ago, and told me she got hers at William Sonoma. Thanks Jodee, for the tip.

This morning, armed with only one kid, I decided to hightail it over to our handy dandy local William Sonoma. Me, for the scale, the kid, for the free sample tray of fancy heart shaped marshmallows. We both left happy.

And now for the experiment: I check the Koigu label and it says 50 grams. That means, my completed Charlotte, plus the five leftover balls, should weigh 250 grams:

Can you read that? It's right on the money. I'm a freakin scientist!

I weigh each leftover ball individually:


Here are my findings:

Color 1---leftover: 40, so pattern takes 10
Color 2--leftover: 27, so pattern takes 23
Color 3--leftover: 15, so pattern takes 35
Color 4--leftover: 2, so pattern takes 48
Color 5--leftover: 4, so pattern takes 46

Therefore:
Color 3 leftovers could be used in a new shawl as color 1. Old color 2 as new color 2, and old color 1 as new color 3.

So, if I wanted to do another one, (yes, yes, I do!) and I wanted it to progress from dark to light this time, so it would be predominantly light instead of dark, I would just need to find 2 skeins that were lighter than my lightest one to use as colors 4 and 5.

A minute of rummaging in the Koigu box produced these (from left to right: original color 3, original color 2, original color 1, new skein, and new skein):


Tomorrow, blocking on the bed, a la Harlot.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Hey dork, you're not parting with it! (Are you??) You'll still get to see it whenever you want. I couldn't stop at one either. I just wish I knew people who both wanted one and were deserving of one:P What do you think about a rectangularly knit Charlotte? I've been thinking about it for a while but don't know if it would be as nice with the color changes more spread out.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

It is BEEE uuu ti full!
I am so wanting to make one, but alas, it is not in the cards, as I would have to have new Koigu, of which there is none that would work, or that I am willing to spring for.
The scale also works great to measure four ounces of protein at each meal.

6:39 AM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Oo,oo! I love the colors for the new one! And I love the colors of the finished one! Was hoping you'd have a post today as I was itching to see the finished project. Now must wait patiently for blocking.

What's next? Will you start the new one or is it too close to the Olympics? I'm tellin' ya', this is suspense writing at it's best.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

My sister the Freakin Mad Scientist!

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home