Thursday, March 05, 2009

I Guess That's Why They Call Them Tweens


What is going through a 9 year old boy's mind as he hovers in the doorway? I believe it is something like this:

"What are those little sisters watching without me? Oh, Winnie the Pooh. That show is for babies. I hate baby shows. Oh, look. Pooh is really cute. Oh, there's Tigger. I love Tigger. Must....break......away. But....I seem to be.......transfixed."

I saw him standing there, looking so cute and holding his 3 dinos so casually, and it reminded me that I forgot to blog about Green Steggie a couple of months ago. I took the opportunity to surreptitiously get a photo. Then later, I was looking through the photos and I got a little verklempt.

This is a boy who loves his "buddies and blankies" more than any of my kids. He sleeps under a mountain of 2 quilts, 1 blanket, 4 blankies, and about 40 stuffed animals every night. And yet, should friends stop by unexpectedly, he is up the stairs like lightning to throw all of the stuffed animals into the girls' room.

He would rather die than have me kiss him goodbye in front of the school, and yet, he looks around and then leans forward between the front car seats every day as I am dropping him off, so I can give him a little head pat or hair ruffle. And he still will hold my hand walking down the sidewalk. If we are in another town where no one will see him.

Oh, little man. My basketball-playing, Star Wars-loving, dino-holding sweet boy. Would you please just stay like this forever?

Meet Green Steggie.
Free pattern here.
Yarn: Arucania Nature Cotton, 1 skein.
Notes: I debated about using a light blue for his face, since the black doesn't show up very well on the dark green/navy combo, but he liked it, so be it.

It took me a long time to get around to making him; I am not a huge fan of knitting toys because they are so fiddly, and ever since the "Bad Kitty" debacle I just haven't had the motivation. Some people just have a knack for embroidering adorable faces, but I don't have that gene. (Seriously-if you don't believe me, just click on that Bad Kitty link.)

However, if you love making toys, have you seen this adorable pattern?

He might look at little linty, that is because he has been playing for a few months with his best friends, Blue Squishy and Tri.

8 Comments:

Blogger Amy Munson said...

My little guy, Alex, is nearly 3 and has figured out the soft spot in my heart that can foil all of my attempts to get him to daycare and me to work on time....."Mom, I wanna suggle". Which then required the gathering of a pillow, blankie and the 4 spiderman action figures.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Oh, c'mon....Bad Kitty just has a bit of attitude....She's all "yeah, I'm ugly, you gotta problem with that??

Lovely post about your son!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I LOVE bad kitty! but she is pink, so that could account for it.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

aaawwwwww. Ethan...awwww

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never leave comments, but your post about your nine year old makes me think so much about my very sentimental 10 year old boy. I keep asking him to stay this way forever, which drives him crazy. It is wild watching them struggle with the leaving of the "little kid life" and moving to the "big kid life" It is as if they are suspended between two worlds. It will end too soon....sadness.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! My two-and-a-half-year-old will one day be on the cusp of "big boy" and it makes me tearful just thinking about it. They are such sweet things, our boys -

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That picture of your son is the cutest ever! When did he grow so big? His face seems to have changed a lot too. So very cute....your girl knitting was just as cute. I was wondering when you were going to deck her out with needles...lol....
Lovely children.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So cute! Green Steggie is adorable.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home