Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Retro Prep is Finished. Kind of. Sort of. Not Really.

You might remember in January I traded Melody for some Jo Sharp Silk Road Aran Tweed. The yarn is beautiful, and soft, and I decided it should be a very simple sweater. I picked the Retro Prep, from Interweave Knits Fall 02. Yes, you've seen it a hundred times on the blogs. Sorry.


I knit on it in January and February (stockinette in the round--good tv knitting) and had worked the body up to the armholes before the Olympics. I finished it this week.

I really thought I wanted a plain sweater. But.........eh.

Is it all those plain Crazy Horse shetland pullovers I wore in high school? With a monogram? A cross stitch monogram I stitched myself using waste canvas? (Shut up, I can see you laughing.)

Anyway. It needs a little something.




I found the center stitch and marked it.


Ripped off the neckband.


Basted up the center stitch with contrasting yarn.


Sewed one stitch away, on either side of the basted line.


Cut up the middle.


Voila!


Here I have picked up stitches for the neckband again, and the cut line is on the right. You can see that even that one stitch before the machine stitching isn't raveling. Knitting does not want to unravel sideways. (Although it might get a little raggedy after I'm handling it while working the front band. But even if that one stitch frays a little, the knitting won't unravel because of the machine stitching.)


Next to do: re-knit the neckband, knit button bands, sew on buttons, and possibly sew some ribbon over the cut edges, for neatness and decoration.

12 Comments:

Blogger Trope said...

Whoa! Steeking projects always get to me, but yours strikes me as particularly bold and daring. I can't wait to see the finished product! I hope that all goes smoothly!

-Elizabeth
http://heliotrope689.livejournal.com

12:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I was already laughing just reading your title and glimpsing your photo!
Wow. Spur of the moment steeking. You're a real fiber wild woman, aren't you?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

You are so brave! It looks great and I can't wait to see the end result. I'm cheering for a little cross stitch though.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Diane Perin said...

Yikes! You are a BRAVE knitter! (Doesn't that sound like a punk rock group, The Brave Knitters?!) Taking scissors to knitted yarn just plain freaks me out. Can't wait to see how it looks when it's done!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Retro Prep is a great sweater as a cardigan. I live in mine and have a few more planned. I look forward to seeing your finally, really done this time, finished one. :)

2:16 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

I love the sign on the door handle. Does that work? Do the kids really leave you alone then? (haha)

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

holy cow i didn't see that coming. You are a bold woman :) i can hardly wait to see the finish.

11:37 AM  
Blogger FunkyC said...

Wow! Such a yummy yarn! That color is so rich. And impromptu steeks!....yet another suspenseful blog entry.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

I remember all those cross-stitch monograms!

Cant' wait for your girls to find those in Grandma's attic! LOL

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you are brave! I've yet to steek and almost dread it as I have a couple of kits where I'll have to use the method. What's happening with your Ene? I'd love to know what the yarn is? The heatheryness is lovely!

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you hear my Gasp of Horror when I got to your steeking sign? It was certainly loud enough! Brave brave brave. I can't wait to see the end result - the color is lovely.

8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Em- don't leave us hanging! How did it work out???
I finished my Charlotte and made a norwegian hat after my class with Arnhild - she was great!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home