Thursday, August 10, 2006

Back to the Flower Basket

On Monday I mentioned that I was making progress on the Flower Basket Shawl. Last weekend I had some serious knitting time and, in search of some variety from the socks, I picked it back up. I read through the pattern to become reaquainted with it and realized that I was on the 5th of 7 repeats! I didn't remember being so far along! Bonus!

However, I knew that I was going to make it bigger than the pattern, because I want a substantial shawl and not a shoulder-scarfy thingie like they show in the picture. Plus, I have plenty of yarn. I figured, maybe 8 or 9 repeats.

Here it is at the end of the 7th repeat. Little People for scale.

So I got the idea to search for other blogger's notes and see if other people had done extra repeats, and if so, how many.

I Googled "flower basket shawl extra repeats". Holy cow, a lot of people have made this shawl! My search took me to the gorgeous one here, and then to the great notes here.

(I always forget to google at the start of a project. And then I end up reinventing the wheel. As a first born, I suppose it is my nature to try to figure things out for myself, but it can be kind of stupid.)

So what she said, was: 16 repeats! I know she's right, and well, crap! I mean, it's not that I'm not enjoying knitting this, but I'm a project person. Short attention span. Enough already, on to the next thing!

And, really the problem is, I had aspirations of wearing this to Stitches tomorrow. So, I made a chart of how many repeats I needed to do each day to have it blocking today. Not gonna do it. As we speak, I'm still on the 9th repeat.

Very well, I hereby swear to relax and enjoy the process. Carry on!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is beautiful! I agree don't rush it. I am always sorry when something is not as large as you had imagined!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors. You've probably said before, but did you dye that yourself?

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I made mine with 14 repeats, but it blocked out to over 60 inches across the top. Worth it!

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I am not a shawl person but....that is beautiful. I have some lovely hand-dyed lace-weight yarn in greens......guess I gotta do it....but probably not until I do the socks from that fantastic yarn I just bought from some lady in Illinois.....Sophie?? Yeah, that was it......;-)

teri

4:20 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Beautiful - love the color. This is one my list to do, so thanks for the notes!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

You'll be happier with it bigger. Of course, the problem is that each repeat makes for longer rows and therefore each repeats takes longer.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to laugh. I followed a link from my visitors list and found your blog and saw that I had been referred to as "SHE SAID" hehehe. Too funny. So, to repeat myself, SHE still says you need more than 9 repeats. You'll be kicking yourself if you do less than 11 or 12 and that FBS of yours is going to be georgous! JMHO.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home