Friday, August 04, 2006

Friday

Eye Candy Friday?
WIP Friday?
Finished Object Friday?

Whatever this could be classified as, I just feel grateful to have a few quiet minutes to post.

This is a project from last week; it was one of those hot days that we were spending the afternoon inside. We are in a nice groove these days, that when Sophie takes an afternoon nap, the other kids sometimes sit with me and draw/sew/craft in the studio, and I can get a little sewing done. Not "thinking sewing", mind you, due to the chattering, but nevertheless, sewing.

So I came across a little pile of stuff I had been wanting to do since Spring: a yard of Kaffe Fasset fabric and an Old Navy tee shirt for Molly.


I dug out a pant pattern, Butterick 4118, and printed out the fabulous headband pattern Hooray For Headbands from this great blog that I've wanted to try.

For the tee-shirt applique: I used Wonder Under on the fabric, cut out a heart, stabilized the back of the tee shirt with a similar sized patch of light weight fusible interfacing, fused the heart on, and stitched around it with an narrow zig zag stitch--about 1/8th of an inch wide.


The headband is quick and easy and ingenious! Thank you Heather! There is a little piece of elastic hidden under that tie, that keeps it on. I see many headbands in our future, (maybe even one for me--can I wear a headband in my late 30s?)


I'd love to say we finished it up lickety split, but we did at least get the pants done before Sophie climbed out of her crib (yes--that was the first time and no--I'm not happy about it!) upstairs. I finished up the shirt and headband that night after the kids were in bed.


Cut to the next day. Action shot:

Four year old girl sewing a quilt.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cute! Yes, you can wear a headband that is if your oldere friend can order one??????

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's Older not oldere!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super cute outfit. Great minds think alike! I just finished up a tshirt applique project for myself the other day. I'm waiting for it to come out of the laundry before I get pictures.

5:34 PM  
Blogger laura west kong said...

Adorable!!! That's a great idea about the t-shirt applique. It sounds like a super project for a lazy hot summer day.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humph...I'm almost 50 and I still wear headbands. I can't stand having hair in my face.

Very cute outfit. One of the things I missed out on making since all I had were boys. I did make cute stuff for my niece tho.

teri

8:33 AM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

That project is just da bomb (and so is the little model)! How much fabric did you need? (I have tons of smallish pieces and need some excuse to keep them!) My Maggie desperately needs headbands, since she absolutely won't let me cut her hair....

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home