Saturday, September 30, 2006

SOCKTOBERFEST

Thank you so much for the enthusiastic comments on the ladybug outfit! We’ve (meaning: I’ve) been really into ladybugs ever since Halloween ’03.


I showed this picture last year but I thought it was worth repeating since it’s costume time again. This is my all time favorite costume. The ladybug hat is from a Zoe Mellor book, Animal Knits. The wings were from Old Navy, but they would be easy to make. Add black turtleneck and tights or leggings. Volia, cute ladybug.

She wore it two years in a row. And now I’m eyeing little sister as a prime candidate for ladybugness this year.

Ok, now to the subject at hand:





I’ve mentioned that I’m having a shop update next week. I still don’t know which day it will be, but I will announce it here as well as send the reminder e-mail to all my past customers. E-mail me: Emily at emilyquilts dot com if you want to be put on the reminder list.

I wanted to do something nice for my customers (I have a lot of repeat customers—I love you guys!) so I’m having a sale. All of October I’ll be offering free U.S. shipping on 2 or more skeins. If you have wanted to try this yarn but haven’t yet, here is a great chance to avoid those pesky shipping charges!

I’ve also been experimenting with new techniques, and I want to show you something that I’m really thrilled with.

Ok, it's still wet and hasn't been properly skeined. Did I mention I was enthusiastic, excited and over-eager? I suppose you can't really see what I'm talking about in this jumble of wet yarn, but trust me. Gorgeous.

I love to knit with the bright, variegated fun stuff. But I don’t often wear bright purple or pink socks. I just a neutral girl when it comes to my feet. So I’ve been doing a dye method where I dye it the usual way, lots of colors and color variation painted on, and then dye it a second time (that’s called overdyeing) by immersion method into a solid color. This mutes all the shades and gives it a much more subtle, solid overall appearance, but the first dye job, the varigation, gives it beautiful nuances. It makes it way more interesting than would result by just dyeing it once, a solid color.

LOVE THESE!

I find these to be very special, so I’d like to give them a particular name, to set them apart from the others. I was cracking myself up thinking “They’re dark and handsome, but you can’t really make a sock yarn tall.” “The Yarn, Dark, and Handsome Collection” “The Sock, Dark, and Handsome Collection” “The Solid, Dark, and Handsome Collection.”

Please help me with a name! I don’t want to be a dork (see Brigadoon comment from previous post). What name do you like, or do you have any other suggestions? You guys came through for me last time I asked for help with names so I’m counting on you again.

Also, since I’m on the subject of asking for help, I’m going to ask one more thing. Almost all my yarn customers last month were repeat customers. (Again—LOVE YOU GUYS!) It is obvious to me that people who buy the yarn really like it. But I would like to get the word out more and get new customers, so if you could tell a friend, I would be very grateful!
Thank you!


8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about "Muted Medleys?"

Re: Brigadoon...that was one of the questions I missed when I took the Jeopardy test. I knew the answer but just couldn't come up with it....until the test was over and I was on my way back from the bathroom. Sheesh. And we even put that play on in high school!

teri

10:01 AM  
Blogger Carole Knits said...

Your yarn is wonderful! I finished my Toasty Toes socks and when I blog about them next week I'll be sure and tell everyone again how fabulous your yarn is.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lady bug costume is wonderful and the outfit from yesterday is just fabulous. If I only had a little one again!

The new muted shades of sock yarn are also yummy and just what I'm looking for. How about the Shadow collection.

12:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing your style ladybug shoes ;)

5:46 AM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

Ball, dark and handsome?

8:30 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Yarn names: how about "Nuance" (though I think Paton's may have a yarn named that) or "Shades". Sorry, I didn't get very far down the tall/dark/handsome road.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about mmmmm
"Heathcliffe" after Emily Bronte's character in Wuthering Heights.

or "Darcy" from Pride & Prejudice"

Both were dark and hansome.

Or are these names copyrighted?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The colors are lovely. They look like the misty morning haze over a northern lake. So heres my pitch for calling them morning mist. or winters mist. or wait..purple haze..no that was a jimi hendrix song.. LOL these almost make me want to learn to knit...Almost..

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home