Friday, October 26, 2007

New Quilt Friday

WOW! Thank you for all the table love! I always hesitate to post about something that isn’t strictly knitting or quilting, afraid I will bore you. I’m glad you liked it! Believe me, there is plenty more dusty old junk in the garage (and attic, and shed, and porch) for me to work on and show you later. Stay tuned.

Meanwhile, how about a finished quilt?

I hate it when people complain or apologize for their own crappy photos, and that's exactly what I'm going to do now. I took photographs on 2 separate days, and they all look the same. The bright white pieces in the upper right corner are all light blues and greys, and in person the quilt is much more subtle than the washed-out photos show.

This quilt will debut at the Pressing Matters II special exhibit at the Chicagoland Mancuso Show in November. I was really stressing out this summer about having a new quilt for the show. I have a few ideas for some big new floral quilts, but I drew and drew and the time grew closer, and the closer it got, the more stressed out I became.

I have learned over the years, that when I am "blocked", the best thing to do is to go back to something familiar. I went through folders of old drawings and found a great black and white sketch in a block format, something I have always liked but never done anything with.

The block format is something I haven't done in awhile, but it reminded me so much of knitting, and I know that quilting is inspiring my knitting recently too (stuff to show you next week).

The quilt reminded me of stones in a courtyard, or a cobblestone path. I have temporarily named it "Cobblestone" but now that I remember that that is the name of a popular knitting pattern, I might re-name it.

Fused cottons, quilted with invisible thread (color-smoke), 35" x 25".

13 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

Wow--I'm blown away. I love the design and the colors (at least the ones that the photographs show, lol).
Someday I'm going to take a fusing/sewing/quilting lesson from you!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love it!

12:47 PM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Gorgeous!! I'm swooning.

1:22 PM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

WOW!
Gorgeous

1:38 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Beautiful!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is absolutely stunning.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Ditto to all the comments above!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

Very nice! I'm glad you stated the size - I was sure it was big like your other quilts, and it's intriguing to think of the blocks as only about 5" each.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

oooh I love New Quilt Friday! Let's make it a regular event. Just kidding, but in a perfect world that would be a good thing. I am dealing with the same lighting issues in my new studio. Hard to see the colors as they truly are. grrr.
But I love the pop-art references in this piece. So much fun. Good thing you got nudged to make a new piece. We likey.

7:51 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Just gorgeous!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, I LOVE that quilt. It's just so beautiful and ... I don't know what else to say other than ... I wish I could quilt like that! Blimey.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the grays with the limes with the reds. Wish I could see those pale blues but I do see them in my imagination.

Brava! Encore!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - it's so beautiful!!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home