Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Periwinkle Sweater

You asked for it, you got it. Well, some of you asked for it. The periwinkle sweater. From the new Winter 07/08 Vogue, #13 Cabled Cardigan. Here's my sleeve/swatch.


On the Vogue preview page, you can see a photo of the Vogue pattern I am using. It is the gold and grey sweater, third row down, third one across. It looks very different in a solid color with woolier yarn. I am not using different colors of yarn to do the stripes. And my yarn -Cascade 220- is not as drapey as the yarn they used, but I took that into consideration and think/hope it will be kind of Anthropologie-ish.

Here's the back up to the armhole, ready to join some fronts and sleeves.

One really great thing about this sweater for an impatient knitter like me. You know how, when you're knitting a sweater with a yoke, how you get all the fronts, back, sleeves done and think "Wow! I'm almost done! I just have to do the yoke!" And then you get hit with reality, because the yoke is actually huge, because you are knitting the front, back and both sleeves in one round, and it takes forever, and you get really sick of it.

In this sweater, just when you get to that point at the beginning of the yoke and you're kind of sick of the cable crosses and all that, you change patterns completely and get to do a totally new feather and fan pattern for the whole yoke. Fun!

Possible changes. I plan to do a very narrow front band in seed stitch, because I don't like how the cable panel hangs in front with no finished edge. I am also unsure of how the bottom ruffle will look on me, and I could cut off the ruffle very easily and decrease the amount of stitches to do a small seedstitch bottom band. I think I will like the ruffle on the sleeves but not sure about the bottom edge. (The photo doesn't show it very clearly on the model.)

In Koigu news: we have progress. I am actually about 4 more inches up the body than this photo shows, and the fit is looking good this time around. I'm alternating my knitting time between this and the periwinkle, depending on whether I need mindless or more interesting.


Two good projects going at the same time makes for one very happy knitter.

2 Comments:

Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Wow! You have quite the eye. I would've skipped right over that sweater simply because the colors and stripes and cables and everything seemed too much. Too overpowering. But in the beautiful periwinkle solid, its gorgeous!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

You know, I looked at that sweater in Vogue and thought I'd like it more, just not in stripes. I'm so glad that now I'll get to see a version like that!

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home