Friday, December 02, 2005

Purple Tutu

And now for something completely different...

A purple tutu for a five year old girl. Molly is going to her first big-girl birthday party tomorrow, and I am good friends with the birthday girl's mom, and wanted to make something special. I hope she likes it.


I made this today in about an hour (not counting the trip to Joann's, where I linger over every decision, while five-year-old-boy chants "Stickers....stickers....stickers" in my ear every 15 seconds.)

The hardest part was sewing the casing in the tulle, the easiest and most satisfying was dousing those flowers in hot glue and sticking them on the front.

If it seems, from my posts this week, like I'm scattered.....I am. I am up to my ears in PBS preparations (two weeks from today!) and meanwhile, I have a houseful of grandparents here tomorrow to celebrate my son's sixth birthday. (Not to be confused with the purple tutu party above, we have four different parties going on this weekend.)

Then, on Sunday, I will submit myself to 25 five-year-olds, running around in a gym and eating cupcakes. (Yeah, and 22 of them are BOYS). Actually, the coaches will be out wrangling them on the gym floor, I will only be in charge for 45 minutes, for cupcakes and presents. Only 45 minutes. How high can a person's blood pressure shoot up in 45 minutes, anyway?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All grandparents? What about the fun Aunt Allison(who by the way will be bringing lots of stickers to said birthday boy). Hopefully, I will be bringing you some sanity and a gin&tonic to boot!
Beauteous tutu! She will love it!
Love,
Al

9:06 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

great tutu!
Last year, for my daughter's 4th bday, I made the mistake of sewing similar 'princess' skirts for each guests (10 skirts total) Mind you, I am a novice sewer, and had never worked with tulle...
it was a long weekend.
This year I just bought stuff for goody bags. ;)
your quilt looks fabulous, congrats on the PBS exposure!

6:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least they'll be running around in a gym and not your house!
The tutu's darling! When my Molly went to her first birthday party, I dressed her in a smocked dess I had made and patent leather shoes...she looked so cute and we got there and all the little girls were in corduroy pants and sneakers. :(

7:51 AM  
Blogger Anna Lear said...

I adore the tutu!!! what a great gift idea! and I appreciated your earlier studio pictures; I don't have any suggestions (at the moment) but am doing a similar rethinking/decluttering, and will follow your progress for inspiration...

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay I first read that as 'five twenty-five year olds. You can only imagine my confusion...and yes, I am blonde ;o)

I come your way via knitterpated - congrats on the PBS thingy! :o)

4:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This tutu was for my daughter and it was a successful gift which is worn atleast everyday!

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home