Friday, March 24, 2006

New Projects

Spring Break is almost here, and four days in the car is lookin' good for some stockinette knitting.

Here's a pile of new projects:


At the top, Lamb's Pride Cotton Fleece in "Pink-a-boo". (I think the Cotton Fleece Color Namer had a couple martinis at lunch before she came up with that one.) That will be the little sister version of the flower dress I finished in navy and white a few weeks ago. (March 2nd entry.)


Next up, Cotton Ease in Strawberry Cream.


I am always on the lookout for sweaters that are C-E worthy, and going through and old issue of Interweave Knits, I found this:

Remembering Honey, designed by Leigh Radford, Spring 03 issue. I love the lace edged sleeves, the edging, and the yoke. And the mile of stockinette in between. Just what the Spring Break Doctor ordered.

And at the bottom of the photo you can see the socks. I already finished those.

Regia Crazy Color. One skein fits four-year-old-girl.

-----------------------------------
Speaking of going through old issues of the knitting magazines, I always do that when the seasons change. After I'm too tired to knit, I curl up in bed and read about knitting. I pull out a random magazine or two and look at them with new eyes.

Here are a few patterns I've re-discovered over the past few weeks:

"Gemma" from Rowan 37. Love this one. I am motivated to knit with mostly stash this year, but I would make an exception for this. Would knit it in the colors exactly as is.


This one, from Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 05, calls for Berrocco Cotton Glace. I have the yarn, but it is white and I will dye it. I'm not sure the wrap style would be flattering on me, and I might change it into a short pullover. Not sure.


This one, so cute, from VK Fall 04. Not 100% sure about the nudity issue with all those holes, I guess it just takes a camisole? It reminds me a little of the sweater in the current RY Classic ad (page 41 of the new Vogue Knitting), that is also lacey/cabley/with 3/4 length sleeves.


I've always liked this one in the Fall 03 VK. But, requiring 12 skeins of Koigu Kersti, this one would cost a small fortune. And, if you're going to use Kersti, wouldn't you want to get one of the beautiful variegated colorways, and not a solid?

But what could you use in a dk weight to make this sweater that was next-to-skin soft, but not 100% cotton? (Because 100% cotton is too hard on my hands for me to knit). I guess that would be Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece and I just answered my own question! But any other ideas welcome!

Diane asked what I thought of the new Vogue issue.


I adore that skirt on the cover, but would never wear it. One of you young skinny gals must knit it (Lauren) and I will covet it from afar.


Here is the only one I really like. (But not in these colors). I like the interesting stitch with two colors, and the sleeves. I would eliminate the belt. And maybe the flower, maybe not.


I think this one has potential, but again, I would eliminate the belt, and make it a button cardigan.

I actually liked more sweaters in the ads than I did in the magazine. Page 27, Drops ad, Page 41 RY Classic ad, page 45 Nashua ad, page 53 Svale ad, page 57 Louisa Harding ad.

Anyone else have any different favorites from this magazine? I am behind on my blogs and haven't read any buzz about it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Katy said...

I always think that I'll get lots of knitting done on car trips...and then I end up dealing with non stop needs of children, sigh. Hope your car time is more productive.
I like to look back through back issues of knitting mags, too...only then I get distracted from my current WIP's and, um, they never get finished. Oops!
Cute socks on a cute little girl. ;)

6:51 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

I concur on the VK Spring edition analysis! I'm glad it's not just me. I also like the Karabella yarns ad page 153 (but again with the holes issue - I'd wear a matching camisole I think) and "I Love to Make Waves" in the Tahki pullout section beginning on page 17. I'm planning on major stockinette action for Spring Break too - socks and maybe Tempting II.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Diane Doran said...

OK, maybe Tempting II is actually ribbing, but it's also easy to do without paying total attention.

8:48 AM  
Blogger FemiKnitMafia said...

Your 4yo looks delighted with her new socks. It's such a perfect picture, I would frame it immediately. She's adorable, and so are the socks!
I also adore Remembering Honey. As a new(ish) blogger and a new(ish) knitter and a brandnew subscriber to Interweave Knits, I've never seen that one. But it would make a perfect work sweater, so I might have to copycat you. Must find an MIT person with a copy of that issue.
Have a great weekend!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Can't wait to see your Remembering Honey. I love looking through past issues too. It seems like VK uses a lot of solid Kersti (I recall a WHITE Koigu sweater. What a waste!). You won't be seeing me in that skirt. It looks very heavy.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Frieda Anderson said...

I love these totes and the kids look so happy. Have a great trip. I got the software, and am awaiting the bill. Love and kisses

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home