Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Ahhh, Stockinette

Like a lot of blogs I read, when the weather gets warmer, we spend lots more time outside, and the blog posts get fewer and farther in between. Hope there's somebody still out there!

There's been lots of gardening and home improvement progress around our place, but I'll spare you photos of the flooded basement and new sumpump, and get straight to the knitting:

The only project on my plate right now (besides socks, those don't count) is Remembering Honey. The progress has been slow. All that lace knitting.

I finished all the back and the front up to the armholes while on spring break, and the past two weeks have been very slow lace knitting.



The yoke seemed to take forever. The lace pattern on the right in this picture was only 6 rows, but was impossible to memorize:


When I finished both sides of the yoke, I still had to get through the lace edging on the sleeves. Even though I couldn't memorize it either, for some reason it was easier for me to "get in the groove" and it was more enjoyable. (And it's so pretty!)

And now I'm onto the stockinette portion, so it's smooth sailing! Except for one thing, and I'd love your opinions on this:

See the place right above the lace pattern, where there are six little "dashes"? That's a stockinette row, where you stop every so often and wrap the yarn around 3 stitches, then continue. I think the purpose is just decorative, and I like it, but it kind of gathers the row in. I'm afraid it will give the sleeve a "puffy" look, right above the lace, like an old fashioned blouse. Not sure I love that. (And the photo in the magazine doesn't really show this part, it's too dark, so I can't tell what it looks like on the model.)

I'm thinking of going back and taking it out and just doing stockinette, so the sleeve is straight to the lace, then flares out a bit with the lace. Thinking that would be a more updated look. (?) What do you think?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not rip them out- as that involves ripping out! I have a SCUNSI steamer and if it puckers we'll use it to MAKE it behave!
How is the quilt show outfit coming?

12:12 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I don't love puckers. I'd rip.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Trope said...

Hmm. I'm very cautious of anything that breaks the line on the stockinette, so I'd rip too. But if you could put it on some waste yarn and baste up the seam, that might give you a better idea how much blousing we'd be talking about.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Trope has the right idea but also think you should rip. I just think that it will be dated otherwise.
Let me know when you head to the park and I'll walk down and knit with you!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Katy said...

I think that if it's bothering you, you should rip. Better now than later!
But oh, that yarn looks nice in the lace pattern.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No opinion, but it's fun to read about the nuts and bolts of knitting.

Great to meet you yesterday!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Laura Wasilowski said...

Em,
I'm so proud of you for taking on this scary knitting. Just the idea of trying to make what you are making gives me knit anxiety.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home