Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Diaper Avengers!

(This is the first of several installments where I show you all the crap I couldn’t show you in December.)

I guess I wasn’t the only one who has taken it upon herself to clean up “diaper lady”. My mom went home last week with a suitcase full of new neckwear. Yes, I think we have banished the diaper forever, Thank God.

First of all, my sister made her this glamorous scarf.

Fleece artist. Pattern on the yarn package. It’s the same yarn I used for this capelet, circa 2005. Mom's scarf is so pretty, I may rip out my capelet and make one too. One cannot have too many lacey periwinkle items!

For my contribution, I made her a Flared Lace Smoke Ring. I was dying to blog about it, and if you’re wishing to see it in progress, I promise I’m going to make another one. Soon. For me.


She put it on as soon as she opened it Christmas morning, and was still wearing it at 10pm that night! I don’t think I’ve ever gotten such a good reception to a knitted gift, so I was really happy. Not to mention, that it looks smashing on her.


And besides that, I loved knitting it. It is a very clever pattern. I got my pattern at Elann and used my sock yarn - one skein - color Robin's Egg. Actually, it took significantly less than the 350 yds called for, but I did end up making it slightly shorter than the pattern.

And if that's not enough neckwear for ya, look! she even finished a neckwarmer for herself.

She was knitting a mistake rib scarf from Lamb's Pride Bulky, and after about 30 of the required 70-some inches, she was running out of steam. (And to be honest, we've been watching her knit this scarf for months, and we were all ready for her to move on to another project.)

So, it took a little arm twisting, a few complimentary rows and some buttonholes by moi, and we turned that puppy into a chic neckwarmer. I was really pretty thrilled with the way it turned out.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As you know I was quite fond of the diaper...but even I have to admit that all 3 scarves are great!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I adore your Flared Lace Smoke Ring! It suits your mother really well and it must be easy to combine with almost any kind of styles.

4:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That smoke ring is on my list - your mom's is great. And I love the trick with the too-short scarf.

5:57 AM  
Blogger erin said...

oh they're all so pretty. They all are far more flattering fir you mother than the diaper.

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Mom is a great model! The neckwear is all so pretty, though I am partial to the Flared Lace Smoke Ring.
Did you see Brooklyn Tweed's buttoned neckwarmer? Sounds like something's in the air!

7:14 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Ooh, I love the smoke ring. I have some singles to ply that would make a perfect yarn for that, if I have enough yardage....

8:14 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O I love that one she finally finished for herself, with the buttons! That really made it. I want one now...we who have no neck to speak of...but get cold there anyway.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sure is tempting to get out my knitting needles ... first all those wonderful crazy socks, now this. There's only so much time, plus I only have so much energy. Arrrrgh!!!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

All the neck-wear looks great. I really like the fleece artist scarf.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the smoke ring! I may have to find that pattern myself. It's simply deee-lish!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

Hi Emily,
First off I want you to know that you are the one that got me back into knitting. It is one of the first things I learned to do when I was a little girl. I have knitted all kinds of things but never socks.. I am finally doing pretty well with those. I also got the smoke ring pattern. I have a silk/rayon blend that I want to try with this. There is only about 250 yards so I am going to end up with a short version to. I don't have a long enough neck to need a 19" piece anyway! Thank you for all of the pictures of your wonderful projects. I'm glad you reminded me what I was missing!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home