Monday, February 18, 2008

So Sad


Dear Friends,

I try not to stray too far from knitting and quilting, but this tragedy has hit very close to home and I feel compelled to write about it and ask for your prayers.

The campus is about thiry minutes down the road from me and many people in this area have kids there. There are a few people from my dear church family that have been directly affected. In fact, there is a member of our congregation who joined last year--she's a knitter--who is the aunt of one of the girls who died.

I can't imagine what that family is going through. To make matters worse, I found out yesterday that a hate group is coming to town to picket (yes, you read that right) at the girl's funeral. This will be taking place today, just down the street from my house.

The grief is strong in this area and I am asking, if you believe in the power of prayer as I do, that you will join me in keeping all of these people in your prayers today.

I hope to be back tonight or tomorrow with knitting updates--there is much progress. As you can imagine, my fingers have been busy as I have been thinking on all of these things.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll keep you and your community in my prayers today. God's grace is an amazing thing. Now that I have a daughter in college, these tragedies hit me in a whole new way.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Alotta.knittin said...

You and your community are in my prayers. My heart aches....

10:10 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I have been so saddened by these events as well. I will keep you and the greater community in my thoughts and prayers.
And I'm guessing that you did not name the picketers (the Westboro Baptist Church) b/c you don't want folks to be directed to their website. However, people who want more info can look them up at Wikipedia without giving the group more web traffic.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily I went passed the church this morning an there were many police around. The city had huge plow trucks blocking the park from the church so those attending would not see these morons. I am proud that our city took such a strong stand against them.

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those lovely people from Westboro are on their way here, to Kalamazoo. Kalamazoo Central HS is putting on "The Laramie Project" so those wonderful people are coming to let us know how all homosexuals and those who don't condemn them are doomed to roast in hell. If it means not having to put up with intolerant, ignorant, hateful fools like them, ANYWHERE would be heaven. I can't believe those morons protested at this girl's funeral. May they all catch nasty colds......

teri, trying to be nice.....not always succeeding (my tolerance DOES have a limit)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Cozy Kat said...

Good reead

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home