Friday, May 08, 2009

One More Bag, Before You All Go To Sleep On Me

A little patchwork action, a little knitting, and one more bag, before you all die of bag boredom.

I've had this tiny little photo of a patchwork bag on my bulletin board for a few years. I clipped it from a magazine and I wish I could give credit, but it's been so long, maybe even 10 years, and I have no idea where it came from.
I've wanted to copy it--not just the patchwork, but also the boxy shape, and the great size. I have a lot of handbags and totes, which are usually perfect, but my regular tote is sometimes a little too small to stuff a full-size sweater project into.
And I have a few huge bags, for daytrips or carrying your life with you to the pool.
I have recently noticed an absence of oversized-purse bags, for carrying a big sweater project plus the handbag essentials like wallet, phone, etc., and not looking like a dork, or like Santa with his pack.

Last year at the quilt show in Paducah, I bought some fat quarters from these folks. Mmmm, French fabrics, ooh la la. This spring I quilted them up in a random patchwork placement and made this bag.



I liked it and the size was great. 16" wide, 7" deep, 10" high, in case you are interested. It could be a tad higher, but I had to make the patchwork squares work out evenly. However, it wasn't as fabulous as I had hoped, so I went back to the original photo and realized that one thing I love about the magazine bag was the binding on the outside of the sides. I had never made a bag like that.
I wasn't 100% sure how to do that, so i just pinched the sides (wrong sides together) and sewed a 1/4" seam up the sides, then bound it like you would bind the edges of a quilt.


I was surprised what a difference it made, in giving the bag a really boxy shape. Making it stand up on its own.



It is a little detail, but it was the oomph that the bag was missing. Now I really love it.






Just the right size for a sweater project and some necessities.

And if you have an interest in the sweater, I have been working on this one off-and-on for a few months, but I am nearing the finish line! It's the Chicknits Basic Hoodie. I had a little speed bump when I had to rip off the bottom ribbing because it was-ahem-less then becoming on me.

I'm eliminating the hood and making a wide collar. Just a couple inches to go on the collar and the front bands.

Wishing all you mamas out there a very happy Mother's Day and a little knitting or sewing time to yourself! xo

5 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

I never ever get bored with bag posts. I really like the way you did the corners on this one. I might give it a try some time.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Carmen Rose said...

I was on a bag binge years ago, but now they are all gone and I must start over. So keep posting about bags, I learn something each time!

4:46 PM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

The bag is killer - love it!!!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Oh man, this is seriously cute! I'm so glad that I never learned how to use a sewing machine. Have you seen my sock yarn collection? Well, it'd be way worse if I was able to machine quilt - fabric everywhere!

9:51 PM  
Blogger stringplay said...

There can never be too many bag posts - or too many bags. I LOVE this one and the edge bindings do make such a great difference. Good job!

12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home