Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What I Knit During Summer Vacation

Hello friends! Thank you to my sweet commenters--you made me feel welcome back to the ole blog again. I love you.
The last time we visited my Barn Raising Blanket in progress was about a year ago. I was deciding whether to keep it in the blue/green range or to add some warm tones. I have made a lot of progress since then! You can see I made the decision to add warm. I even made a dark brown! (2nd row center of the photo below). I added several very light squares, which are washed out in the photo but mostly pale purples and blues, and some murky greens. There's even a little orange.

I have "refined" my goal (I almost used the word: downgraded, but we'll be positive) to 7x 7 squares, so I need 49 total. I have 44 completed, and one on the needles. One is iffy, but I am considering overdyeing it, so the total fluctuates a bit, but I am VERY CLOSE.

I mentioned before that I love to knit these little squares while on vacation. I make a goal of one square a day. It is so relaxing to get up and start a square with my coffee in the morning. It takes a little more than an hour to knit one of these--and sometimes I race to see if I can complete it while still in jammies. (Vacation is about the ONLY time I can knit for over an hour in the morning without feeling like I need to be getting ready to do something.)

Some squares are solid and some are a square-within-a-square. The way I knit those is this: I knit until there are 14 stitches between the "spokes" and then change yarn. I change yarn on a plain row so it doesn't mess up the yarn overs. That's it.

I don't have any formula to how many of each I'm going to do, I just do whatever the yarn moves me to make that day. Sometimes I'm feeling plain, sometimes I'm feeling fancy.

12 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I like what you're doing with this. You've chosen warm tones with a blue cast, so it's harmonious and interesting.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Sandy W said...

I agree that this is a fun small knitting project; each square that is. I'm working on mine while I sit at the hospital with my mother that is very ill and the squares are a bright spot in my day.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

Do you begin in the center and work your way out or vice versa?

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

It looks spectacular! I really love it, Em. The colors are really working well :)

3:14 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

OK, I've wanted to do this (log cabin style, though, since I cain't get with the in-the-round program on this small scale) forEVER, but now your squares-within-squares just put me over the edge.

Please please consider Sophies Toes kits for these for those of us who don't knit socks and therefore despair of ever having the right mix of leftovers for this gorgeous thing.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

Like, you know, a "Barn Raising 6-pack", etc. Fun fun fun.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am working on a barn raiser, too, though I only have ten squares completed. It's inspiring to see your 44 squares.

And I love the worsted that just arrived on my doorstep today! The Urban Denim colorway is perfect for my plans. Thank you.

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Cathy R said...

Lovely blanket. Can't wait to see it finished. And in my living room.

That was an option, right?

Just kidding.

8:43 AM  
Blogger prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

It's great to see you on the blog again. ;)

11:23 AM  
Blogger kelli ann & lorie said...

your barn-raising blanket will be lovely. i never tire of seeing them and their endless possibilities.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great to see your work. just awesome. thanks for this beautiful work.
African Wax Print Fabric | African George Fabrics

8:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

awesome creative work. like it
Sequin Fabrics

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home