Monday, February 08, 2010

Barn Raising.....Almost.....Finished

I mentioned last week that the blanket was happily zipped away in it's little plastic ziploc marination chamber. Daunted by the blocking, I was happy to let it marinate for an indefinite period of time.
However, just a few days after I wrote that blog post I got an e-mail asking me to fill in with a last-minute program for our knitting guild (how could I say no--I love them so much).

I decided the lecture would be on color and creativity and a big part of the program would be about creatively using up your leftovers and orphan skeins. It would be the perfect time for Barn Raising to make her debut! I needed to sew those squares together, stat!

I borrowed my friend Blogless Carla's blocking board and was able to block all 49 squares in only 4 shifts (nearly painless, really.) I LOVE THIS BLOCKING BOARD!

Coincidently, it is the same one that Alicia just wrote about here. I am going to have to invest in one of these suckers. Especially since we no longer have a guest bed for blocking (darn kids, taking up those bedrooms.)
Well, I wish this story had a happy ending, but I'm just keepin it real here folks. I did not get the blanket done in time. I sewed the squares into 7 columns, but didn't get all the columns sewn together. Here it is in it's final layout with 4 columns sewn together:
Next time you see it, though, it will be DONE!

9 Comments:

Blogger amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

It's gorgeous here and up close. Your guild talk was INSPIRING!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

I wish I had been there to hear your talk and see you in person. The barn raising is fabulous, and the color...YUMMAMENTE!

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

It's looking really great. It will be well worth the work when it's finished!

5:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Popped over via a Fiber Friend. Love all your colorful yarn. Do you dye it yourself. I do mine. Off to have a look around and follow. Stop by my garden anytime.

Kate - The Garden Bell

9:02 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

So beautiful! I hope the program at the guild went well.

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Cathy R said...

That is really beautiful!

11:07 AM  
Blogger Kay said...

I do not enjoy knitting those squares in the round (I've tried, I've really tried!), but every time you show a peek of your version I am all hot to trot and make my own.

What to do? I think I can get a little of the magic using log cabin but do I want to mess with perfection?

xoxox Kay

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Kate Ramoth said...

Hi--am new to your site--love it! how do you do those squares? I think I need some...I have a blanket I have been working on for a couple of years and I think a few of those squares would fill the gaps nicely!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hi Kate!

The Barn Raising pattern is from the book Knitalong by Larissa Brown. I wrote my directions for making the square within a square on this blog post: http://whatsthatgonnabe.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-i-knit-during-summer-vacation.html

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home