Saturday, February 22, 2014

Greetings from Athlete's Village

Greeting from Athlete's Village!  Also known around here as "Mom's spot on the sofa".  (But Athlete's Village sounds so much more.....well, athletic.)  As previously reported, I'm participating in the "wipdancing" event on Ravelry, trying to finish as many wips as possible. 

So I thought I would send you a postcard from the Ravellenic Games going on here in MyLivingRoom, Illinois:


In the photo below, I have highlighted much of the important equipment that you need to reach your Olympic potential:



1.  Giant pile of green knitting
2.  Giant pile of blue knitting
3. Tote bag filled with extra, emergency knitting.
4.  Footstool--for foot support. 
5.  Extra pillows--for back support. (Doubles as arm support if kids or pets are trying to lean on you).
6.  Ott light--for eye support (but in reality mine is broken, where is that equiptment tech when I need him?!)
7.  Quilt, a.k.a. legwarmer.  Kind of like those big puffy pants that the skiers wear before their runs. But not really.
8.  Extra yarn, needles, accessories, because you can never be too prepared for knitting emergencies.
9.  Giant glass of water, because you can never be too hydrated while extreme knitting under extreme pressure during extreme conditions.
10.  Remotes--why we need 2 remotes for one tv, I will never know.  (Occasionally a third remote appears, that's when I have to call in the experts, a.k.a. the kids.)
11.  Cell phone--not for actual calls.  For e-mail, texting, tweeting, and/or instagramming, while simultaneously watching tv and knitting.  Because that's how all the cool kids do it.  And we might as well look as cool as possible while knitting. 

Now that I have given you all my best advice for knitting during extreme conditions, I'll report on the status of my wips:

Item #1  Blue Fairwind:
 
I am pretty excited to get this done and actually wear it this winter!  Blocking done, just needs  the rest of the buttons!  Will it be done before the closing ceremonies?  Judges nod!
 
Item #2:  Selbu Modern:
 

 
This was a joy to knit.  Unfortunately, during the knitting of this item, our athlete fell off the mountain.  I overcompensated for fair isle tight gauge, by going up a needle size and knitting loosely.  Sadly, this hat is enormous.  I washed and dried it in an attempt to felt it.  I blocked it over a 14" plate instead of the recommended 10" plate.  But it really needs to be stretched even further to be able to get the pattern to emerge.  And it makes me look like a French Chef in a Disney cartoon. 


 
Epic Fail!
Moving on, Item #3:  Calligraphy Cardigan
 

Despite the crappy cell phone photo, the judges give this high marks, for beautiful color, excellent fingering weight gauge, and pattern choice of high wearability!  This was the status as of last night but as we speak the knitter is finishing cuff on sleeve 2.  Buttons have been purchased and there is a high probability of finishing before closing ceremonies! 
 
Fellow Athletes, please report your progress.  And enjoy the closing ceremonies!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jill L said...

loved your post and your FOs!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Vicky aka Stichr said...

I believe your faire isle hat will billow splendidly as you sail over the snow in the ski jumping event...or maybe even tucked over the rock in the curling arena.

I myself have embroidered and gave my cat the podium, she shouldered through every event!

2:11 AM  
Blogger monica said...

I love your Selbu hat and those chefs in Disney movies have the best jobs!!

Congrats on your excellent performance in the extreme knitting events!!

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home