Friday, January 19, 2007

Bobbins, Baby

I'm really behind. I still have a few Christmas presents to show you.
But I thought I'd share something happening in real time. Remember that dino quilt I started last year? Last night I wound bobbins in preparation for quilting.
I *hate* having to stop and wind bobbins while quilting. So I suffer through winding a ton of bobbins before starting. This is just the beginning:




You can't really accomplish this if you only have a dozen bobbins or whatever came with your machine . So, years ago I discovered these handy dandy bobbin clips. I am usually pretty stingy with notions or gadgets, but every year when I went to the quilt show, I would splurge on a bobbin clip or two, plus some generic bobbins that fit my machine.





Eventually I built up quite a collection. It feels luxurious. I love having a ton of bobbins. I highly recommend it.

Photos of the quilting? Sure.




Ok, since we're talking gadgets, and again, I'm not a gadget girl, but a few months ago I happened to be browsing the quilting aisle in Joann Fabrics, (I had a 50% off coupon that was burning a hole in my pocket) and I saw these Fons and Porter quilting gloves.



I thought I'd try them and Man! am I glad I did. I used to use the latex surgical gloves to help get a grip but they'd get all sweaty, not to mention that they were hard to get off and then forget about getting those sweaty things back on again.


These are very comfortable cotton, nice and cool, easy on and off, and those little white dots are grippy stuff that helps you maneuver the quilt around.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, with the 50% off I am guessing they were pretty cheap but, you know, they have the same thing in the gardening department...and they also make these in a nice knit that you can get where ever riding stuff is sold- the little nubs help you grip leather reins- especially if they are wet. I used them back many years when I had a hunter/jumper....

teri

12:59 PM  
Blogger Mary B said...

Hmm, I was just wondering if my gardening gloves with dots would be the same. Of course they are filthy right now, not sure they would clean up enough to use for quilting.

I am planning a fire truck quilt from my son's drawing, you have inspired me yet again.

Oh, and did you know the new Cotton Ease is out?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Can't wait to see a pict of the finished quilt with the lucky boy who'll be sleeping with it!

2:09 AM  
Blogger Freja said...

Thanks for posting these great pics of your quilting-in-progress :)

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you quilting with your regular sewing machine? If so, how do you get the quilt to be so flat...it doesn't seem to be folded up on the right hand side.

1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and to think I thought I had tons of bobbins!!! Waiting impatiently to see the finished quilt. I have been waiting so long.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a great idea to use grip gloves to help guide your sewing! I learn something new every day.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Shirley said...

Wow I'm so envious of the amount of bobbins you have. More bobbins are on my list of things I want to buy the next time I get to Canada. I haven't found any in the fabric stores I visited here in Finland.

3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home