Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Knitting Olympics: False Start

So here's my sweater for the Knitting Olympics! It's called Lloie's Cardigan (also known by the super-creative name "Yoke Sweater WG79"); I'm doing the cardigan version pictured on the left, my own hand dyed yarn, size 2 needles.




The main color is a very dark purple--the big ball above. The fair isle pattern will be greens and teal, with cranberry at the very top, where the pattern resembles petals.


So, I cast on during the opening ceremonies with Blogless Carla, and I'm knitting along, doing the ribbing on size 1s, and might I add, not enjoying knitting 300 plus stitches on those size 1s.

I got the sinking feeling that, because of the miles of solid color stockinette on this sweater, I had picked a marathon event. I am not usually an endurance athlete, I am more of a sprinter. But I kept going.

By day 2, I was totally psyching myself out. I was questioning my color choice, I thought the cast on edge looked wavy and bad, and I was more than a little worried that I wasn't getting gauge. At the end of 2 days of knitting (with only about 3" done), I took it off the needles and put it on spare yarn to measure.

Confirmed: it was about 3" too small, I was knitting too tight!


Ugh! Nothing to do but riiiiiiiiip.

Now.....I'm back on track and things are going well. As well as can be considered where you're knitting miles of stockinette, 300 plus stitches to a round, on size 2 needles, in a very dark color. Get me to that fair isle section- stat!

Are you participating in the Knitting Olympics? What are you making? Tell me in the comments--I want deets!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Allison said...

The colors are so pretty! I don't have a project but I need one stat! for Sew What!? at Paul and Todd's house Sunday!

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, my project is even stupider! I'm knitting a Dale of Norway sweater for my hubby. It's an extra large. I'm knitting miles of black stockinette.

Yours is going to be gorgeous!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Jamie said...

Mine is not technically for knitting olympics because the last thing I need is another deadline. But I am knitting it during the olympics, it's the vine yoke cardigan out of some lovely sophie's toes worsted in deep plum. I am enjoying it very much. I am proud of you for challenging yourself. Go Em!!!

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Bethany said...

I love your color choices, and I applaud how brave you are for picking that cardigan! It's going to be beautiful :)

I'm designing a pair of gloves in honor of Lady Gaga, and then finishing up some WIPs that need to become finished projects!

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Ina said...

No knitting Olympics for me this year. Your sweater will be lovely in those colors! Good for you!!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous keri said...

Ooh that's going to be gorgeous! I love the colors you chose and that pattern has been on my must-knit list since it came out, in your hand-dyed it will be breathtaking!

12:55 PM  
Blogger amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

um, you are crazy. I am SO glad we're friends, but let's just say, I could never compete. Back to my community afghan square, size 7 needles, cast on 1.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

That is going to be beautiful! You'll be my inspiration when I stall out in the middle of my easy little pattern. I'm doing a Transitions Yoke Cardi by Becky Harbour (found on Ravelry). In a deep blue cotton from knit picks. It's knit top down and it'll be the first sweater I'll have finished for myself. If I finish it - when I finish it! So it's a challenge for me, especially in 17 days! So far, so good.

Good luck with all those miles of stockinette! I can't wait to see the fair isle!

7:05 AM  
Blogger rohanknitter said...

oooh, it'll be so pretty! Size 1 needles though, wow!! I started a sweater but my gauge swatch LIED to me and now after knitting about 9 inches of the body I can see it's gonna be too big and needs to be ripped. ARRGH. I may just make a scarf.

1:16 PM  
Blogger PICAdrienne said...

Your sweater is going to be so amazing when it is finished. The colors are fabulous!

My Olympics project is much easier, I am knitting the Valkyrie Vest by Lisa Shroyer. I have modified to knit it in the round, because I would not have time for seaming. Still, I am using Cascade Eco + on size 9 needles. Mine is a walk in the park, compared to your challenge. Good luck to you, I look forward to seeing it finished.

9:03 PM  
Blogger YogaNan knits, too... said...

I have my own tale of Olympic knitting woe. Got 8.5 inches into the yoke of my top-down Looking Glass Sweater and saw that i had omitted a crucial purl ridge that makes the colorwork stand out. Nothing to do but rip back, darn it all. But I'm liking the sweater much better now. The odds of finishing by closing ceremony--hmm, don't take any bets!

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home