Monday, March 29, 2010

Adult Surprise

File this under "I'm going to say this out loud and I hope it's not just me." But pretty much anything with the word "adult" in front of it makes me giggle a little. Like the time my son came downstairs sleepily while Dave and I were watching a movie (just a regular movie--I can't remember what it was ) and I told him he couldn't stay up and watch with us because we were watching an "adult movie". Heh heh.

So I type out the title to this post, and have my little giggle moment, and wonder how many creative ways it could be interpreted by a non-knitter.



Anyway. Presenting, in progress, the Adult Surprise Jacket:


I've made 2 baby surprise jackets, and now by the third one, you finally get the hang of just how exactly this weird amoeba-like shape is going to work out into a sweater. Fold here, fold there, voila! It's fun!

I'm using 2 strands of sock yarn to make a worsted weight yarn; leftovers in blues and purples that I've collected for over a year just for this project. I'm purposely using very short strands and interspersing the lights and darks to get a tweedy effect, looking a little like hand-spun yarn.
And yes, there will be lots of ends to weave in. I think a movie marathon might be in order. "Adult" movies! Feel free to leave recommendations as I haven't seen a good movie lately. And speaking of watching stuff--if you haven't caught Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution yet, you gotta watch it! I am totally hooked. It is on again tonight.

10 Comments:

Blogger Earl3d said...

I was just reading about how to drive traffic to your blog, and one of the suggestions was to give clever titles to your posts. That way, when someone types those words into google, your post will appear in the results.

Who knows, 'Adult Surprise' may bring you a whole new audience!

I giggled, too :)

11:28 AM  
Blogger amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

I wondered where you were going with the "adult"... :) We watched the Invention of Lying the other night. It was good enough for an end-weaving movie.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Isn't Jamie Oliver's show fantastic? It actually made me cry a little bit--the resistance he faced in the first episodes would have made anyone pack their knives and head for home. Hope all's well with you!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

When ever someone calls the Library and asks about movies we always have to ask Children's or Adult movies- I always cringe as well!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

I can't wait to see this Surprise Jacket. I love them always. I have a list of movies to recommend privately. All adult.
yes to the Jamie show too. I couldn't believe those kids didn't recognize a tomato!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Elizabeth said...

The colors are beautiful! I love the idea of saving up bits of sock yarn to make this. Not that I knit socks, but maybe I should start. Can't wait to see the finished sweater. "Adult" sweater. t.hee.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

I think your sweater is going to be beautiful.

Part of the humor, to me anyway, of the term "adult" is that most of the things usually labeled "adult" really aren't, very.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous KimW said...

If you haven't seen it, I can recommend "The Blind Side". A sweet story, some good humor and sports moments for the guys!

3:37 PM  
Blogger joan said...

I like to weave the ends in as I go and it seems that with the garter stitch this would work almost invisibly. So nice to be done when you're done!

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Cathy R said...

Oooh, that sweater is going to be beautiful!

I find the BBC "Pride and Prejudice" miniseries to be excellent for long term weaving in projects. The one with Jennifer Ehrle and Colin Firth.

Also a Star Wars marathon.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home