Monday, November 24, 2014

Art Quilt: Rose Window

Good morning Friends!  I am participating in the "Round the World Blog Hop".  I hope you are enjoying your trip visiting many different quilt artists.


I was invited to participate in the blog hop by my friend Frieda Anderson.  Frieda makes beautiful quilts with nature themes and also teaches and sells her hand dyed fabric and patterns.  Frieda and I met many years ago because we are both members of PAQA, the Professional Art Quilters Alliance.  When we met, her sons were in high school and now they are grown/married/grandkids.  I didn't even have kids yet(!) and now mine are in middle school/high school.  We have been friends ever since.  Like, forever!

I thought that this would be a good time to show you a quilt that I made earlier this spring.  I was excited about attending the new show in Portland, OR, presented by Quilts, Inc, (the producers of Quilt Festival in Houston) called Quilt! Knit! Stitch!  I was planning to vend with my Sophie's Toes Sock Yarn, and since the show was a new concept--crossing the boundaries of different genres of needlework, I thought it would be extra special to have a quilt in the show also.


I planned to enter the special exhibit "Coming up Roses" and  I was excited about the rose theme.  I've made many floral quilts over the years--I am always inspired by flowers.  And this time, I wanted to do something a little different.  I've been turing over in my mind an idea for many years--over a decade, actually, to do something in fabric that experimented with light.  I wanted to get a stained glass effect with fabric.  I don't mean a jewel-toned quilt with black sashing that mimics stained glass, but a quilt that really looks like light is shining through.


This was a real challenge for me.  Usually, the line drawing is the most difficult part.  Once that is finished, I am quick with all the color choices.  But this quilt took a lot more time and experimentation with the colors and values, to get the effect I was working for.


I am very happy with the way this quilt turned out, and have plans for future experimentation with the stained glass idea.


Rose Window is currently for sale:  $4,200.  
Measurements are: 52" height  x 39" width





Here is a photo from August, of me and my daughter Molly at the show with my quilt.  We had a wonderful time vending, seeing Portland, and enjoying all the beautiful quilts!

Next week on the blog hop:  Lyric Kinard.  Lyric is another friend that I met through PAQA years ago.  She lived for a short while in Chicago and now lives in Cary, North Carolina.  Lyric is an artist, teacher and author and her quilts are very meaningful.  Take a look and enjoy her work!  


Thanks for reading!
Love,
Emily




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home