Monday, February 14, 2005

So Close, and Yet So Far

Closing in on the finish, once again enamored of my Mariah, I diligently knit away on the big, honkin, hood. I was so sick yesterday that I had to miss a little knitting get-together. But even more reason to curl up on the sofa with a great movie (In America) and knit feverishly on the hood.

I finished by the end of the late news. I sewed up one sleeve. Somebody, please, please, PLEASE remind me that it is never good to try on something when I am tired, right before bed.

Disaster.

disappointment.

Discouragement.

I tried to take a bathroom-mirror photo this morning but it didn't work, so I will try to describe it with these pictures.


Basically, the concerns I had when I started the hood (a couple of posts ago) were realized. There is so much extra fabric around my neck, it is loose, floppy, and sloppy. See the fold at the back neck, below? The hood hangs down and what should (I think) be the upper back sitting up securely around my neck, hangs down also like a cowl.



In the front, I can grab a handful of extra fabric on either side of the fronts, just below the hood. When it is snug fitting everywhere else, it doesn't feel like it should be this loose at the top. But, I don't have an ultra-cool snug-fitting hood, so should it be like this?

AND, this sweater is not even blocked, and I intend that it will grow when blocked, like the swatch, so that means that it will be even looser.

I went to bed so dejected. I was SO ready to be done and start another project. I will definitely have to rip the hood off, and re-do some of the yoke, and may make it a hoodless cardi. By the time I get that all done, it won't be sweater weather any more. I was ready to toss it in the closet and look at it afresh next fall.

Then I remembered one little thing, the last thing I thought of before I went to sleep....




February is for fixing.


Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Blogger Melody Johnson said...

O you poor darling! Wait a day or two and let this sit. Perhaps a solution will reveal itself. How could the pattern have been written correctly if this hood is so shapeless now?

6:34 AM  
Blogger alison said...

Glad that the fix-a-thon can provide some relief. You're not alone! You can do it! Your Mariah is so lovely, you can make her right. Best of luck!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home