Friday, May 27, 2005

The Studio

Quilting is going slowly. Knitting is disappointing. I finished the hourglass sweater (after knitting the yoke twice) and it is too big. It is the hourglass sweatshirt. So I loaded up my pictures for a Mariah unveiling, but I've been sitting on that post for several days, just not ready to put the full frontal shot up on the internet, where I forgot to hold my stomach in, (or have liposuction).

Today was the kids' last day at preschool, and I am facing the dreaded three-week-gulf between the end of school and the beginning of summer activities. I am doing my best to have zen thoughts, to let everything go and sit by the pool with my knitting, but with the show opening in 3 weeks and the L.A. trip the week after that, I'm stressing.

I sit at my computer searching for inspiration, for motivation, and I see that Melody mentions my studio. That she finds it inspirational. Wait--is she mocking me? No! She's serious.

I look around. There are a lot of things I love in this room.

This is my studio wall. You can't really see it, but my desk with computer is right below this stuff. (You can see the tops of the piles of crap that sit on the desk). There is some good stuff there, despite the fact that it is being taken over with kid's drawings. (But I do seriously love the drawings, even the little pink post-it lower right with just a scribble.) The thread rack is the first thing most people comment on. Its a little bare now, because the reds and oranges are on my desk being used. The collage of photos under the thread rack is a mural in LA that my brother made for me, its no longer there. (See some more cool collaged photos at his blog.)


The thread rack actually inspired a visiting photographer, Eric Kohke, to use it for the cover of our Art Council magazine a few years ago. That was pretty cool.


Here's the other side of the room, above my ironing table/crap holder. Lots of room to grow over here. Love that butterfly image, thinking of doing more butterfly quilts. Photos of journal quilts I made of the kids, and a magazine clipping of the way I want our house to look "some day".

Ok, break over, time to get back to work. I feel better now.

Posted by Hello

2 Comments:

Blogger Earl3d said...

Great pics of the studio!

Melody is right, its hard to set foot into that room without being inspired.

First, its a visual flood of colors and shapes, and then a feeling of 'temporarily suspended creative frenzy' takes hold.

Proof that inspiration is contagious!

12:22 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

I truly meant I get inspiration when I visit your studio. I am not mocking, never mocking again, ceasing to mock, have learned the mocking lesson.
Please see my blog for copying your idea.
Copying is the new mocking.

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home