Friday, March 07, 2008

As Bonne Marie Would Say..."New Threads Friday!"

Finished in February and worn a lot already but not photographed* until this week......I present a new FO:

Pattern: Beryl by Bonne Marie Burns

Yarn: Cotton Ease in the discontinued black color. (I used 2 different dyelots and almost depleted my stash of black. One dyelot for the body and bands, and different dyelot for the sleeves. Because the dyelots are separated by seams, it's not noticeable.) As I've mentioned before, I know that the CE will stretch out and I knit it more tightly than the ball band suggests, at 19 st/4", which seems to help.

Notes: I had to shorten the sleeves as I do with every sweater I make. Other than that--no changes at all. I love the style of this sweater--a fun, kind of funky little suit jacket. It's hard to find a sweater like that. Dressy, but not frilly-dressy. You know what I mean?

Here it is washed out with the daylight, so you can see all the details better.


I love the stitch detail at the bottom. Those points at the hips wanted to flip up a bit, but blocking took care of it.

I also love the stitch detail on the neckband.


I ended up sewing down the placket. With regular sewing thread, not yarn. I hate a messy, gaping button band and this made it look much neater. I would never wear this particular style unbuttoned, so why not? It is very easy to slip on over the head anyway. I might start doing that more often.

*In case you are wondering about my yarny backdrop, here's the story. I was getting anxious to photograph this sweater, as it had been finished for a month but the stars had not aligned (the stars being: camera charged, good sunlight, and an additional adult at home to take the photo).

The only problem was, my house was a total mess (as is the usual when I'm getting ready for a big etsy update) and I couldn't find anywhere to stand where there wasn't a pile or papers or kids toys. My husband suggested in front of the fireplace, because that's where we usually pose the kids for family photos.

I sighed, because the mantle was filled with yarn, and said, "Ok, I'll move the yarn". He said" What knitter wouldn't want to see fabulous** yarn in the background?" I said "You have a point."

**I'm not sure if my husband actually used the word "fabulous" or if I'm making that up.

13 Comments:

Blogger sweetfigs said...

As Bonne Marie would say, "Woot!" You done good!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Nice! I'm gonna have to get that pattern. That is, after I finish my Arianne, which has been languishing on the needles--I'm at the point of joining the sleeves and body which has me a bit intimidated. And then I always have other distractions, like the Bucket Hat I cast on during my train ride this morning...

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great on you. Well done!
Michele

http//www.michelescottage.wordpress.com

4:17 PM  
Blogger monica said...

It's really flattering on you! Great job!

6:58 PM  
Blogger QuiltingFitzy said...

As a returning and totally satisfied customer...

I'd LOVE to see a post about how having a successful etsy effects family life, and what your dh thinks about the "all of it".

I'm plowing thru my first cardigan. At least I can say I made ONE in my lifetime.

Your black sweater jacket is wonderful.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

That looks wonderful on you!

4:23 AM  
Blogger cpurl17 said...

As everyone with eyes would say, Fabulous!!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sweater looks really great on you, and I love the idea of sewing the placket down. Clever knitter.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Felicia said...

Beautiful :)

1:35 PM  
Blogger Scrappy Raven said...

Lovely shaped jacket. Good idea sewing the button placket down.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

What a beautiful sweater ... and wall decor too, LOL. I'm sure he said "fabulous".

11:43 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

the knitting looks fantastic. I want one.
Vicki

10:09 AM  
Blogger Pam said...

Great looking Beryl - I think you're on to something, tacking down the button band -- mine also wants to pull a bit and the style really looks best with the placket closed anyway.

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home