Thursday, June 02, 2005

Finally Mariah

At long last,
I give you Mariah.



The best part, the cabley-goodness.



Back view.

Time will tell if this becomes a favorite or just another sweater. It was definitly a favorite to knit, even with all the tinkering on the hood and neckline. The beautiful cable on the sleeves and hood was fantastic to knit, and the stockinette of the body gave some relief (and allowed me to finish it this decade.) I love a sweater that has a combination of mindless knitting and challenging parts.

It may not be a favorite to actually wear because I don't think it is very flattering. Hence the deletion of the full view picture. It is a little too long, and the 5 inch cable/rib around the bottom is just not flattering on me. What was I thinking? Even though I added stitches so it wouldn't pull in, still, it looks like a five inch band drawing attention to my stomach. The sweater would be just as great with some kind of shorter rib treatment, even a hem. In fact, I may cut it off at the bottom next fall and knit down something different. I would have to take the zipper out, but I could put in a shorter zipper or change to buttons.

Speaking of zippers, I love the way they look, they are totally stylish, but with a couple of zipper cardigans now, I am discovering my habit of buttoning the top couple of buttons on a cardigan and letting the bottom hang free. I can't do that with a zipper. So, maybe, I am a button girl.

Specs:
Pattern: Mariah, from Knitty. Thanks to designer Jodi for such a great pattern!
Yarn: Brown Sheep Nature Spun Worsted (really a light worsted, I used size 4 needles)
Color: Platte River Blue
Zipper: From Zipperstop, first time ordered from them(and second, I advise letting them pick it out rather than pick the color from the monitor, but that's another story) totally recommended.
Posted by Hello

12 Comments:

Blogger Deenz said...

Very nice! The cables look great on the hood -- I will definitely make note tomorrow of your FO!

11:26 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Looks great! You could try a 2-way separating zipper for more wearing options. When I ordered from Zipperstop, I sent them a few inches of my yarn and asked them to please match it. Love those cable-y sleeves.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Melody Johnson said...

You looked lovely in that sweater Em! The full view! I am so impressed. I simply must get some knitting content on my blog. arrggh

6:29 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

Oh, it's so gorgeous! If you don't like the hem, then definitely take it off & do something else so that you'll wear the sweater. It's too much work to let it sit in a drawer.
And I have seen (on blogs) lots of folks using 2 way separating zippers so that they can have the bottom of the sweaters open while the top is zipped. Cool concept.

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you used the cable on the hood, rather than plain stockinette. The color is great too!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Korin said...

Delicious!! :D awesome work! :D

3:11 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

How wonderful! I love what you did with the hood; I didn't continue the cable on mine. But the yarn you chose really highlights the cables well! :)

9:40 PM  
Blogger Orlop =) said...

Awesome! really nice work. I'm using the same color, I home mine comes out that good.

1:19 AM  
Blogger Earl3d said...

Great work! The hood looks especially super great.

Add a link to your hood modifications post. [not for myself, mind you, but for your other fans who might actually want to try it themselves]

-proud brother

5:22 PM  
Blogger Jo Griffith said...

What amazing cables! Truly beautiful and amazing!

4:50 PM  
Blogger jodi said...

Beautiful. Your hood looks stunning.

4:14 PM  
Blogger alison said...

Gorgeous! What a great job you did!

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home